Thursday, January 17, 2013

Personal Project: New Dark Angels Army

As a hobbyist I've been immersed in Flames of War for the last 12 months or so, and even the release of the latest edition of 40K didn't seem capable of luring me back to the 41st Millennium. However, with the release, last week, of the latest batch of Dark Angels models, Games Workshop has done just that and I thought I could share my building of a new army with you.

I've been a fan of the Dark Angels ever since 'Codex: Angels of Death' was first published for 40K 2nd Edition. This was back when the Dark Angels were based more on the mythology and imagery of the Native American peoples than the monastic influence which came along several years later (this is why the Ravenwing and Deathwing are festooned with feathers etc by the way). As a biker I've always been particularly drawn towards the Ravenwing (in fact some of you might remember seeing me arriving for work at GW in the early 90s on my Harley, proudly sporting the Ravenwing symbol on the lower left leg of my leathers :P

I recently sold all of my remaining Dark Angels models, including a 1500pt Ravenwing force, to my best mate, so this army will be starting from scratch. The only model I have retained from my original collection is Sammael, Master of the Ravenwing, so I set about painting him last week. He took around seven evenings to complete and I'm rather chuffed with him. I don't get a lot of opportunity to paint my own models so rather than tax my brain too much I thought I'd pretty much just copy the 'Eavy Metal one. Here he is:







As you can see in the pictures I've decided to use my Fanatscape Gothic Ruins bases for this army as they are perfect and fit right in with the monastic imagery of the the Chapter.

So, thats my general sorted. What next? Well, having perused the new Codex I've done a rough 1500 pt list which contains:

Sammael
1 x Ravenwing Command Squad
2 x 5 man Ravenwing Attack Squadrons
1 x 5 man Deathwing Knights Squad
1 x 5 man Deathwing Squad
1 x Dark Talon
1 x Landspeeder Vengeance

So, now I need to start building the rest of the army. The bases are pretty much sorted as I'm mainly using the painted samples. Only 8 bike bases are still needing a paint job.


If you would like to know how to paint these bases like the ones pictured just follow the link to this Painting Guide.

The astute amongst you will notice that there are 12 infantry bases in this picture too. I thought I might as well paint the rest of the models from the Dark Vengeance box while I was at it, and perhaps they can go towards the next 500 points.

Keep your eyes peeled for the next instalment as I get to grips with some Ravenwing bikes.....

2 comments:

  1. Duke Danse MacambreJanuary 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

    Awesome as always you show off. ;)

    Not sure on you're list though to be honest I must admit, will look nice but with only 2 troops choice and little in the way of anti air or anti armour you may struggle.

    Either way I look forwards to seeing you're painted force. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate. Yeah, it's all about the looks for me. I'm so used to loosing now, I don't care anymore :D

    ReplyDelete